Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Did you ever...

Did you ever read a book to a child and understand the moral for them--but realize it had a moral for you too?

I had the chance to read to my students today, There's Always A Way, Annie McRae! by Brad Wilcox. This book is about a little girl who wants to be it all: a mathematician, a veterinarian, a principal, a piano teacher, an author, a mom...she wants to be it all. And all these examples in her life always say, "There's always a way, Annie McRae!" And it goes good until she meets a friend who says--"there is just no way, Annie McRae. You can't be it all..."

Sometimes I think we handicap ourselves and make it so we can't do it all...regardless of what our dreams are. I think we should go for whatever ones suit us best at the time...

Granted--I had a hard time explaining to six year olds who said, "All girls grow up to be moms, duh!" that not all girls grow up to do that...but, it is a good dream for them. I am glad there are still little girls out there with that dream and that expectation for themselves. I hope my students make it to that someday...

Check it out though--good book: here's the author's link: http://www.bradwilcox.com/

BTW--I pledged the most minutes in 1st grade for our literacy night--and I won the chance to have him come and teach my students about writing! Yeah for nice people who are willing to teach my little ones--in more ways than one.

Go for those dreams everyone...there is always a way!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Brad Wilcox! He's come to our school a couple times and is amazing! My kids loved learning from him. He's awesome at teaching the writing process and motivating them to become good writers!

Dan and Whitney said...

Amy, Thank-you so much for your post. I REALLY needed that! Interior design jobs are a rarity at the moment, but I know something will open up for me and I benefited so much from your post. I truly needed a pick-me-up and that was perfect. I got your phone message, but life always gets hectic when I remember to call people...I still would love to catch-up on things with you... let me know when you have time. I miss you!