Sunday, January 3, 2010

New Year's Resolutions...

I don't believe in New Year's Resolutions. They are a waste of my time. I think it is silly that we as human beings have resolutions once a year that we set and then we forget about them the whole rest of the year until the next new year. Then we pull them out and say, "Oh, I was going to do that." What a waste of productive reflection time.

Being the reflective person I have become (thank you National Boards process...) I have become a person of goals. Long term and short term. And since I check my goals regularly, this year, I have set a couple major goals.

I have been a horrible flosser. I have always hated flossing my teeth. I guess you can call me lazy, but I would rather spend that five extra minutes in bed pondering my life than protecting my teeth. I've been really good about flossing a week before I go to the dentist. But, I've realized how much I love my teeth, and how much I want to be able to have them to eat in my future. So--I decided this year is the year to make flossing a habit.

To learn more about the importance of flossing, check out this website: flossing

My other major goal is to write in my journal. I have not done this regularly for about two years. And within this goal, is a reflective goal. I am taking a challenge I heard Elder Eyring give directly to me in a group one on one question and answer session. He said in our journals, we should write about two things: 1--How the hand of God has blessed your life that day, and 2--How you have blessed someone else that day.

Those are my two new big things I would like to add to my already in place long term short term goals. Hopefully they make me better physically and mentally/spiritually.

Tonight (or this morning) I'm proud to say I've done them both--flossed and wrote. Now--let's see if I can turn them into habits again....it should take me three weeks, right?

No comments: