How lucky my stake was today to get to go and have Elder Hales speak to us! I think I learned some profound things that are good to know--especially in these days. Probably things I already knew, but should definitely pay attention to.
It wasn't stake conference, just a meeting for us since we are having a temple that will be dedicated in the next few weeks in our mists...
Elder Hales spoke about reality today. He told us that the prophets have predicted where we are for at least a decade. They have warned us and warned us about being ready. Things like staying out of debt and being prepared were their messages. Elder Hales today told us that it will get worse before it gets better. But--he gave wise counsel to parents today.
He told children and parents some interesting things. To husbands, he said a sign of loving your wife and children is to be able to say "We can't afford it." He also said to the children that you should honor your parents and when they say no--don't fight them on it. He also said something he likes to remember is that a billionaire doesn't have one second more to his day than anyone else--we all have the same amount of time.
One of my favorite things he said today though was that we need to use the temple as our foundation right now to help us in this time of trial. The temple will bring us peace and clarity of mind.
I also liked one more thing he said--Learn to live within your means, but most importantly, learn to be happy living in those means.
Good counsel I think...I'm happy being poor!
13 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment