Sunday, August 24, 2008

The Mining Town of Ophir

Sunday, August 24, 2008

Linda and I decided to go on a drive today--I do this one about once a year--and hadn't done it yet this one. So--we headed out Butterfield Canyon--and stopped by my hill...then, it was time to go out to Ophir!

Ophir is an old mining town in the Oquirrh Mountains west of Salt Lake City. To get there--we drove through Butterfield Canyon and out through Tooele. Then, we went south from Tooele till we hit the town. It's kind of a small town--one road...but it is unique. It is very old fashioned. We even found a phone booth! It cost 50 cents to make a local call and a whole dollar to make a long distant call for four minutes...we were tempted to call some friends...


More pics of Ophir:




I think I drove the road of Ophir the farthest I've ever driven it today--but there were a ton of cows on the road...they made me get a little frustrated...plus it was late. We decided to turn around...

I love discovering new places and I also love rediscovering them again! The town of Ophir is an annual tradition I love to do! If anyone wants to go--let me know--I'll take you!

This last pic is of a field for Tooele's 4H farm and they had a lot of things growing in their garden and some fun scarecrows. I love scarecrows!

No comments: