Tuesday, August 5, 2008

A Teaching Funny...

One thing that I love about teaching is that every day brings something new to laugh about. Today was no exception to that...

I've been back in school with my new group right now for about a week and a couple days. I was gone yesterday because I had a fun doctor's appointment to go to. Anyway--today we were finishing up an activity (we call everything in 1st grade an activity) and I told the students who were finished that they could go and sit at the carpet and we would play a game. So--the 5 or 6 that were done went over and I was still wandering helping a few more students finish. Then I heard this weird humming sound...

I walked over and said, "What are you guys doing?"

They were all sitting cross-legged on the carpet and had their hands in that yoga position and their eyes were shut. They were humming.

They said, "We're meditating Miss Merritt." And continued to hum.

I started to laugh and they did too. I asked them where they learned this crazy stuff--they said from the yoga tape (I think a student's mother has one...). And they continued to hum...

I have a class that meditates. I guess that's a good thing. Who knows?

1st grade...you gotta love it. You never know what is next...

No comments: